Once upon a time the government had a vast scrap yard in the middle of
a desert. Congress said,
- "Someone may steal from it at night."
So they created a night watchman position and hired a person for the
job. Then Congress said,
- "How does the watchman do his job without instruction?"
So they created a planning department and hired two people, one person
to write the instructions, and one person to do time studies. Then
- "How will we know the night watchman is doing the tasks correctly?"
So they created a Quality Control Department and hired two people, one
to do the studies and one to write the reports. Then Congress said,
- "How are these people going to get paid?"
So they created the following positions, a timekeeper, and a payroll
officer, then hired two people. Then Congress said,
- "Who will be accountable for all of these people?"
So they created an administrative section and hired three people, an
Administrative Officer, a Deputy Administrative Officer, and a
secretary. Then Congress said,
- "We have had this in operation for one year and we are $1,000,000
over budget, we must cutback overall cost."
So they laid off the night watchman.